Rhinoplasty, also known as a nose job, is one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures in the United States. While rhinoplasty is generally safe, it is important to follow best practices for recovery following your procedure. Read on to learn more about the do’s and don’ts of rhinoplasty recovery.
- Follow Your Surgeon’s Instructions – Your surgeon will give you detailed instructions after your procedure that should be followed closely to ensure a proper healing process. These instructions may include keeping your head elevated at all times for the first few days after surgery, avoiding strenuous activities or exercise for several weeks, and using cold compresses on the area around your nose to reduce swelling.
- Stay Hydrated – Staying hydrated can help avoid complications such as dehydration during recovery. It is important to drink plenty of water throughout your recovery period. You should also avoid drinking alcohol and caffeine during this time, as these can contribute to dehydration.
- Take Medications As Prescribed – Your surgeon will likely prescribe medication for use during recovery including antibiotics, painkillers, and steroids to help reduce swelling and inflammation. It is important to take these medications exactly as prescribed in order to minimize any side effects or other complications.
- Wear Loose Clothing – Wearing loose clothing can help reduce discomfort while allowing easy access to areas that need attention while recovering from rhinoplasty surgery. Loose clothing also helps keep pressure off any incisions made during the procedure which can speed up healing time and reduce scarring or other complications from forming.
- Get Plenty Of Rest – Resting is essential for full recovery after a rhinoplasty procedure so make sure you get enough sleep each night and avoid activities that could cause strain on your body such as lifting heavy objects or running errands until your surgeon clears you for activity again.
- Don’t Touch The Area Around Your Nose – Avoid touching or manipulating any area around your nose while it heals following surgery as this can create further irritation or even infection which could lead to further complications down the line. If there is any itching or irritation near the site of the incision, talk with your doctor before attempting any self-care methods such as applying ointments or creams directly onto the area in question.
- Don’t Put Too Much Pressure On Your Nose – Putting too much pressure on your nose after a rhinoplasty procedure can disrupt healing processes so be careful when sneezing, blowing your nose, or engaging in other activities that could put additional strain on this area of the face until fully healed from surgery.
- Don’t Smoke Or Drink Alcohol During Recovery – Smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol both act as diuretics which means they increase fluid loss from the body which can lead to dehydration and other related complications during recovery from rhinoplasty surgery so it is best avoided until cleared by your doctor again post-operation.
- Don’t Skip Follow-Up Appointments With Your Surgeon – Following up with your surgeon regularly after a rhinoplasty procedure helps ensure everything is healing properly and allows them to adjust any treatments if necessary due to unforeseen issues arising during recovery periods such as infection or further swelling than expected in certain areas following surgery so make sure not skip out on those scheduled appointments!
Recovery following a rhinoplasty procedure requires special care in order for everything to heal correctly without issue later down the line, says Dr. Shahin Javaheri. It’s imperative to follow all recommended guidelines by surgeons before proceeding with the operation itself becomes even more critical when it comes time for proper post-operative care afterward too! By taking extra precautions when it comes time for rest + relaxation post-surgery, staying well hydrated + nourished throughout the entire process all while showing up regularly at scheduled appointment times afterward too.
Rhinoplasty is a long-term, life-changing investment with a wide range of costs. Call Dr. Shahin Javaheri in San Francisco, CA at (415) 923-3800 immediately to schedule your appointment and let us help you figure out the cost for your upcoming rhinoplasty!
Other Articles You Might Be Interested In: