Excess weight loss, whether it is from pregnancy, major surgery, or simply from shedding those extra pounds, often leaves behind a lot of loose skin. A tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, is a cosmetic procedure that removes this excess skin and tightens the abdominal muscles to give you a slimmer, more toned appearance. The surgery itself takes 2-4 hours, and you will be under general anesthesia.
Dr. Shahin Javaheri is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon based in San Francisco, California specializing in face, breast and body contouring procedures such as tummy tucks. He has performed thousands of procedures and is considered one of the top plastic surgeons in the country and is internationally recognized for teaching and performing custom body implant surgeries. In this blog post, he will share his top 12 tips for recovery following a tummy tuck so that you can have the best possible experience. Most of these tips will be applicable to all surgeries.
- Get Plenty of Rest: It is important to get plenty of rest after your surgery. You will likely be tired and sore, so make sure to take it easy for the first few days. Take naps when you can and avoid any strenuous activity.
- Eat Healthy Foods: Eating healthy foods helps your body heal properly and gives you the energy you need to recover. Avoid processed foods and eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and lean protein instead.
- Drink Lots of Water: Drinking lots of water helps keep your body hydrated and aids in the healing process. Make sure to drink at least eight glasses per day.
- Avoid Strenuous Activity: As tempting as it may be to return to your normal workout routine right away, it is important to avoid any strenuous activity for at least six weeks following your surgery. No heavy lifting or deep stretches. Walking is very important and is encouraged post-surgery.
- Wear Your Compression Garment: Wearing a compression garment helps reduce swelling and supports your incisions as they heal. Make sure to wear yours as directed by your surgeon.
- Take Your Medications: You will likely be prescribed antibiotics and pain medication following your surgery. Be sure to take these as directed in order to avoid infection and manage pain effectively.
- Keep Your Follow-Up Appointments: It is important to keep all follow-up appointments with your surgeon so that he can monitor your healing process and ensure that everything is progressing as it should be.
- Manage Your Swelling: Some swelling is normal after surgery, but there are things you can do to help manage it effectively. Be sure to elevate your feet when you are resting or sleeping, use cold compresses on your abdomen, and avoid salt in your diet..
- Be Mindful of Your Incisions: Be careful not to put too much pressure on or pull at your incisions as they heal.. important to sleep with a few pillows behind your back in an elevated position first week.
- Proper Drain management and incision site care.
- Don’t Forget About Emotional Recovery: It is important to remember that recovery from surgery is not just physical; it is also emotional.
- Stay connected to your plastic surgeon in San Francisco. Call your doctor if you have a fever; nausea, or if you are not responding well to the pain medication.
Following these simple tips can help ensure that you have a smooth and successful recovery following your tummy tuck surgery.
Dr. Shahin Javaheri has helped thousands of patients throughout San Francisco, CA, attain the perfect abdomen with a tummy tuck. Contact us now to schedule a consultation today.
Other Articles You Might Be Interested In: